Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Bad User Interface Design

I just got off a Microsoft Teams meeting with one of my co-workers where we saw a good example of bad user interface design. Fortunately only the two of us attended the meeting and I had seen the flaw before. Otherwise it could have been more embarrassing to my co-worker.

In Microsoft Teams, the button to share or stop sharing your screen is located directly next to the button to leave the meeting. My co-worker was sharing his screen and then went to click the "un-share" button. Instead he clicked the "Leave Meeting" button. When I found myself as the only one in the meeting, I knew what had happened because I have done it as well. I patiently waited for my co-worker to rejoin and then we finished up the meeting.

 Many years ago I worked on creating training for a phone user interface. Basically the service would call you and have you respond to questions using the dial-pad on the phone. When you had a question with "yes" or "no" answers we recommended that you use the number 1 to indicate a "yes" response and the number 9 to indicate "no." The idea is that you didn't want someone to mash the wrong number because the buttons were too close together. Microsoft should have placed the "Leave Meeting" button far away from all other buttons. If both my co-worker and I had the same problem, I wonder how many other users have made the same mistake? Let me know if you have too.

No comments:

Post a Comment