Thursday, July 28, 2022

Paper vs. Electronic Books

Last weekend I flew to Ohio with my wife to visit our son and his family. Before leaving on the trip I started reading a paper copy of a large book. I didn't want to carry the book on the flight as I packed in a small backpack. I had access to an electronic copy and so I put it on my phone. Then my wife and I headed off to the airport.

Waiting in airports and spending time on planes provides one with a lot of time to read. I probably spent 2 to 3 hours reading just on the way out. My screen was plenty large to read and I just had to scroll constantly. Interestingly, the chapters felt shorter on my electronic device. I also had no warning as I got close to the end of the chapter, which I didn't like. I did like that I could turn off my screen, put my phone in my pocket, and change seats or walk on the plane. With a physical book I would have had to put in a bookmark and try to remember which paragraph I stopped at when I started reading again.

I didn't get the chance to read while in Ohio, which didn't bother me as that meant I spent all of my time playing and doing more important things. Then it came time to fly home Sunday evening. I just opened my reader on the phone and picked up on the next chapter from where I left off. I had lots of time to read as the first flight was delayed an hour. I had a 3-hour layover and so it didn't stress me out. I read some more when I got to the intermediate airport and then watched a movie the rest of the way home after boarding my next flight.

Once home, it came time to go back to my paper book and update the bookmark in my physical copy. Doing so allowed me to visually see how much I had read on my trip. I instantly thought of how much better a physical book is than an electronic one. Then I realized if they are really better then why didn't I bring mine on the trip?

Ultimately I prefer physical books if I have the luxury of being at home and don't have to worry about lugging around anything. When I am traveling, I prefer electronic ones. You can carry many of them and you won't throw your back out because of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment