Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Nostalgia with Funimation

One of my new projects at Sony is working with the Funimation team, which is part of Sony Pictures. I've known about Funimation but never played with the anime site until now. In an effort to understand the business, I've been doing some research. I have to say that I love my new job.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was in middle school, I watched about 6 episodes of the Japanese anime Star Blazers. I never really got into anime except for Speed Racer and Star Blazers. At the time, I didn't know anime was anything other than cartoons. Anyways, I really liked Star Blazers and was sad I never could find any more episodes . . . until now.

In the United States, cartoons are generally for kids with a few exceptions. Anime can be found for all ages and so you have to choose your shows carefully. Some shows contain rather adult content. Rather than watch just any anime, I went back to my childhood and started watching Star Blazers. I wish Funimation had existed back when I was a kid as I am sure I would have enjoyed the content a lot more. It is still fun to catch up on the story as well as earlier episodes I never got to see.

Sony recently purchased Crunchyroll and has similar content. The two services are in the process of being combined and you will be able to get all of the anime content you want from a single place. I doubt it will change my entertainment habits much as I prefer live-action movies. If you are already into anime then you already know about Crunchyroll. If you are looking for another choice in streaming entertainment, then feel free to check either service out.

Please remember that I work for Sony and so this isn't an unbiased opinion about anime content providers. It is not meant to be. I just discovered both services and wanted to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment