Monday, November 21, 2022

YouTube Season

I seem to have found a bit of a following with my YouTube videos that focus on the Top 5 Ski Areas of North America. That means that ski season is also YouTube season for me. I tried putting together some videos over the summer but discovered I couldn't easily run up to the ski resort and get more content when needed. I have also found that ski videos don't really get watched during the summer.

My most popular video has just passed 70,000 views, which I think is a lot. I know I would get a lot more if I was a 20-year-old girl trying on swimsuits but that isn't what I am interested in sharing. When I look at other ski videos, I am doing fairly well. There are only a few that get more views and most are less than that.

I am also discovering the content the people want to see. The videos I have the most fun making are about backcountry ski trips but they only get a few hundred views. Show something controversial like which resorts have the steepest slopes or the best powder and you rack up the views. Controversy also means you get people disliking your content and leaving mean comments. I try to respond kindly and let them express their opinion. Hopefully it is paying off.

Lately I have been getting some very nice complements from people that seem to like my videos. That is gratifying but I can't let it go to my head. Fortunately there is someone that will come along and tell me I am an idiot for suggesting a particular ski area and so I think I am staying fairly grounded. If I get back up to 8000 views per day like I did at the end of last season, then I can't make any promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment