Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Follow-up from Yesterday's Post: Verizon vs. AT&T

Yesterday I talked to my adventurous daughter who is a kayak guide in Valdez, Alaska. Thinking about my post yesterday, I asked the all-important question of which mobile phone service seems to be more ubiquitous, Verizon or AT&T. I knew not to ask about T-Mobile because last year she showed up to help guide with a T-Mobile phone. Unfortunately T-Mobile doesn't have a presence in Alaska and while her phone worked for 30 days, they informed her that if she didn't get her phone back to the lower 48, or continental United States, they would stop providing service. Fortunately she had to head to Anchorage  and she switched her service to AT&T. Yes it costs significantly more but she could continue to have a wireless phone and didn't have to result in turning her phone off for the remainder of the summer.

I asked my daughter if there are any other guides in Alaska that she works with who use Verizon for their wireless plans. She said there are quite a few. Next I asked if they had service when she doesn't or vice versa. Her response indicated that the two services are fairly comparable with Verizon slightly edging out AT&T. I probed a bit more and asked what she used to compare the two. She said that when they leave Valdez to head out to the Columbia glacier, she will lose service before those with Verizon. On the way back, those with Verizon will regain service earlier.

I felt that seemed like a pretty good test even though it is only anecdotal and not statistical. She elaborated that last year before she switched from T-Mobile, she lost service even earlier. I can't think of any place more remote than parts of Alaska and this corresponds with my experience in remote places throughout the United States.

Now remember I do own stock in Verizon and my intent is not to have you switch your carrier simply because their wireless phone service is available in more places. The new technology being rolled out, specifically 5G networks has all mobile phone carriers upgrading their networks. The old CDMA technology that Verizon used for 2G and 3G will eventually be replaced. Until then, they seem to have the broader coverage. I'm not sure that will continue but could be wrong. I know the moment I switch from T-Mobile to something else, the playing field will be leveled and all services will be equal to each other. So for now I am sticking with my current mobile phone carrier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment