Monday, October 16, 2023

A Virtual Doctor Visit

Every 6 months I get to visit with my doctor and get a checkup. This morning I got a text from the doctor's office saying that my doctor was ill and wouldn't be in the office today. Instead I had the option of visiting with a physicians assistant or PA about an hour later without the hassle of having to go to the medical clinic. I didn't really have much of a choice as I had a prescription or two that needed refilling. I opted for the virtual visit instead of trying to reschedule.

When I got the text about my doctor being ill, I felt a bit frustrated but understand what happened. When you are a doctor, you get to spend your days seeing sick people. It makes sense that a doctor is more exposed to germs than someone like me that spends all my time in my home office being a hermit. I couldn't be too mad after that realization.

I met with my PA and she had access to all my lab results from my last visit. I am one of those people with perfect health numbers, never mind that they are pharmaceutically enhanced. Of course some of it is due to my constant vigilance to diet and exercise but the net result is my PA felt pleased with my numbers and didn't think it necessary to do anything more than renew prescriptions. That didn't bother me as I didn't feel the need to give a couple tablespoons of blood for lab work. I can wait 6 months.

I wouldn't recommend the virtual doctor visit for everyone. Notice that I meet with my healthcare professional every 6 months and don't mind dropping it back to a yearly visit. I just know that the next time I need to make an appointment, it will be in person and I will have to do the full lab work. It is nice that COVID-19 has made the virtual appointment an option. Before the pandemic, I would have had to reschedule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment