Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Sending Text Messages from your Computer with Android Phones

Apple recently released information about their latest phones and I don't see the need to spend $1000 or so to upgrade the one I have. Sure I will get a credit for trading in my iPhone 12 mini but it won't be a straight swap and so I am keeping my current iPhone for now. 

One of the reasons I have stuck with an iPhone for as long as I have is because I can stay on top of my text messages using my Mac computer. While I am not too slow texting using the smartphone's tiny keyboard, I am lightning quick using a full-sized one. Furthermore I sit in front of my computer all day and if I get an important text, I can see the message immediately without having to pull out my phone. My oldest son feels the same way but has grown tired of constantly being tethered to Apple's overpriced phones.

My son has been looking at Android phones just to compare specs and also did some research on if it is possible to use a desktop computer to send and receive messages for Android devices. He found a CNet article that shows how to do it. This actually opens up a few possibilities for smartphone options.

One of the advantages of working for Sony is that I have access to great discounts on Sony products. Now Sony isn't a big player in the United States when it comes to Smartphones. However they do have some great products that are technically superior to Apple's. Right now there is a special for a phone that retails for $1800 and I can get it for $400 as a Sony employee. It is tempting now that one hurdle that keeps me on iOS is gone. Perhaps when my current phone's battery needs replacing, I can just replace it with an inexpensive Android.

No comments:

Post a Comment