Sunday, March 24, 2024

I Miss My Sunday Paper

I came home this afternoon and saw my wife lying down on the couch reading some mail that we received during the week. It reminded me that I no longer receive a Sunday newspaper. I miss the Sunday paper.

I suppose I could replace a tree-killing paper with a virtual one using my Kindle e-reader. I just looked at the website that replaced my local paper and it has all of the news stories I would usually read when I received a printed newspaper. Truth be told, I actually read the comics first. I lamented this same problem about 3 years ago in a similarly titled entry. Back then, I found a website that lists most of the comic strips available. Unfortunately I have not kept up with my favorite cartoons as that requires more work than opening the door and finding new reading material on the front porch waiting for me to read. Perhaps it is a habit I just need to make.

Another thing I miss is a trusted source of information. Often times people get news from social media sites and the information is not always factual. You'll hear rumors of solving various maladies with snake-oil tactics such as consuming the latest nutraceutical, which has not be tested by the medical field in any way, shape, or form. You may even base your political opinion on events that never happened. At least with a reputable newspaper, facts are checked and editors don't let stories run unless they are confident in the content. That is a far cry from Facebook and other social media sites.

This probably won't be my last post lamenting the loss of printed newspapers. I really just need to make it a habit to read the daily news on my e-reader. I guess it is time to go bookmark that comic-strip page.

No comments:

Post a Comment