Lately I have received a number of QR codes that don't work. Recently I replaced the faucet in my kitchen and the new one did not come with printed instructions. Instead it had a QR code that I needed to scan with my phone's camera, which supposedly took me to directions on how to install the faucet. For some reason I went to a blank page. Ultimately I did an Internet search and found the instructions I needed but it turned out to be significantly more complex than I have come to expect from QR codes.
I didn't think much of the problem until I pointed my phone at another QR code only to experience another blank page. I thought it weird to run into two different problems so close together. While not every QR code I have ever used has worked right, I think I have had a 99% success rate with them. That is why we have all come to generally trust them.
All a QR code does is encode a text string into a picture. It is similar to a bar code except they only encode a group of numbers. That makes QR codes very useful for storing website addresses or URLs. They don't have to store URLs though. You can go to your favorite QR code generator and create a code that says, "You are a great person." It might be fun to print up a bunch of stickers with a QR code that says, "You park like and idiot," and put them on people's cars that take multiple spots in a crowded lot. I just tried it and caused my phone to freak out as it tried to look for a URL. Still, it is possible.
As with anything computer related, QR codes should be thoroughly tested before replacing printed instructions. Should you decide to go this route, make sure the URL is in working order before printing the code. Then you have the advantage of being able to change the instructions at a moment's notice should there be something that needs clarification. I just hope I don't run into any more examples of QR codes not working.

No comments:
Post a Comment