The downside of a visit to Japan for work is that I spend a lot of time doing an expense report. I spent the week collecting receipts and then sit down to organize them when I return home. I know some of my colleagues take pictures of the receipt with their phones the moment they get them but I wait until I have a large workspace. I have a well-tested system for making sure I don't forget anything and am reluctant to change it.
I have a nice flatbed scanner that I use to digitize all of those receipts. Then I use use GIMP to edit those images before submitting them in my company's expense reporting system. I make sure to cut out any part of the image that is not needed and it makes for incredibly legible receipts.
Yesterday I went to start GIMP on my Mac only to be told an updated version of the software is available. I try to always use the latest version and so I installed the new one. Unfortunately I did not install it from Apple's App Store and so MacOS didn't want to let the program run. Normally I can just right-click on the application icon and that forces it to start. Yesterday that didn't work. I did a quick search and found that I needed to run the following command using the terminal:
xattr -cr /Applications/GIMP.app
I had to enter the administrator password to get the command to run, then right-click on the icon and select the "Open" option. That forced GIMP to run and it came up nicely. I quickly trimmed receipt images and then completed my expense report in a timely manner.
GIMP may not be as good as Adobe's Photoshop but it has all the features I need to do the image editing I need. Furthermore it is free and does not require an annual subscription. Should you find yourself needing to do some simple photo editing, I highly recommend it.

No comments:
Post a Comment