Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Break from TV

This weekend I have a guest from Japan visiting me in Utah. He came for business last week and has business at our offices next week. Rather than get stuck in San Francisco over a long weekend, he asked if he could come skiing with me in Utah. Seeing as I had already invited him when I was in Japan, I was more than happy to host him this weekend.

I didn't watch much TV when I was in Japan because I didn't understand anything being said. There is only so long that you can watch people on the screen speaking a different language before you get really bored. Rather than subject my guest to a similar fate, we have all gathered in the living room this evening and are reading, working on the computer, or playing hand-held video games. I have to say that I don't miss television.

This has me questioning the future of TV. While I don't plan to toss my idiot box out the window any time soon, I may rethink my cable subscription. Why pay a fee every month when I could pay a fraction of the cost and get better service. After all, most networks allow you to watch recent episodes of your favorite show at the time is most convenient for you. If I want to watch a movie, there are a number of services that offer downloaded or streaming content via the Internet. Perhaps I should look into replacing one of my current televisions with one that has built-in Internet features. In the past I haven't given an Internet capable TV a second though, but maybe these electronic companies are onto something.


No comments:

Post a Comment