Monday, May 14, 2012

I Forgot My Phone . . . Again

I was on my way to the airport this morning and realized I had left my phone at home. I did this once before and just took my wife's phone at the airport. Now my wife uses her phone too much to let me use hers and so I just got on the plane and headed to San Francisco for the week.

I sat on the plan and came up with possible solutions to not having a mobile phone with me for the week. I have a desk phone in my office and can use that during the day. The only time I need to be in contact with anyone is when I am back on my sailboat at night. I wasn't too worried about talking with my family because I have Internet on the boat and can use Skype on my computer.

I was kind of looking forward to being out of contact for a week. Then I realized that if there was a problem at work, they would need to get a hold of me. That left me with one of three possible choices:
  1. Have my wife overnight my phone to the office
  2. Buy a cheap prepaid phone and just use it for the week
  3. Go to the AT&T store and replace my old iPhone 3G with a new 4S
Naturally I was leaning towards option 3. My iPhone is really old and doesn't seem to hold a charge as well as it used to. I asked around the office and had some coworkers telling me it was a good decision while others were telling me to wait for the new phone due out shortly. I don't know if there is a new iPhone looming on the horizon, but knowing Apple, there probably is.

I didn't need to buy a new prepaid phone as we have them all over the office and I could have borrowed one for a week. The trick was buying a SIM card with just enough minutes to last a week. I could have picked one up for about $20.

I ended up choosing the first option as it was the path of least resistance. There is something about having your own phone. Now I just hope they don't need me at the office tonight while I wait for my phone to arrive tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment