Thursday, May 31, 2012

Oracle Alumni Dinner

On Tuesday evening I was able to attend an Oracle Alumni dinner at the Four Seasons Hotel in Palo Alto, California. The dinner was supposed to be for the 100 most influential people of Oracle in the early days. Don't ask how I got invited as I was still in high school when I first started working at Oracle in 1986 and played a very small part in helping the company.

It was fun to get together with a small group of friends from Oracle's early days. I would say that I knew about half of the people in attendance and it had been over 20 years since I had seen most them. A lot of the old Oracle Alumni have gone on to become CEO's at large software companies throughout Silicon Valley. It was fun for me to be able to talk with them and find out what they have been up to. I was amazed to discover how many of them have left the corporate world and started working with various charities. The thing that wasn't so surprising was how many of them went on to sit on various boards for other companies.

The evening eventually came to a close and it was sad to part company. Business cards were exchanged and promises of getting together again soon echoed through the room. Now I just hope it doesn't take another 20 years to get together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment