Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Secret Admirer

A few weeks ago I received an e-mail from an alleged secret admirer. I was pretty sure it was some sort of a scam and so I immediately deleted it. Then I started thinking about the e-mail a few days later. The fact that it made it through my spam filter had me questioning if it was a scam or not. It didn't take long for another e-mail to arrive elaborating on the original secret admirer message. I have to say that it was a bit flattering even though I am happily married. Deep down inside we all want to be admired by other people, even if they can't have us.

This second message got through my spam filter again and so I thought I would look into the anonymous e-card service to see if it was real. I confirmed my original suspicion as it didn't seem to exist. So I deleted the e-mail and went on my merry way.

Today I received a 3rd secret admirer e-mail and made a note of the pseudo name of the person who sent it. Then I did an Internet search on "lovebug1136" and discovered I am not the only one getting these e-mails. To see the same e-mails posted on sites just confirmed what I knew all along.

So what is the scam? You are asked to sign up for an online-dating service. Once you sign up, you can then search the pseudo name to see who "likes" you. The last thing I need is an online dating account. So if you get an e-mail from someone claiming to be a secret admirer and are not interested in creating an online dating account, you can probably delete it.

No comments:

Post a Comment