Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Christmas I Didn't Want to End

I know it is the end of March where last Christmas was a while ago and next Christmas is even further away. However I was thinking about the best Christmas of my adult life and how I didn't want it to end. When I was young, I didn't want Christmas to end because it meant I had to go back to school and I wanted my break to last as long as possible. Now that I am older, I have accepted that I will need to go back to work and so I am ready when Christmas is over. There have been one or two exceptions and it was one exception I was thinking about today.

It must have been the Christmas of 1999 and I had just finished a theater room in my house. I bought my kids a Nintendo 64 and also got the game Diddy Kong Racing. We would get up every morning during the school break and go skiing. We only skied a couple of hours and would then come home and play video games until dinner. We had 4 controllers and so everyone who wanted, got to play. Our favorite thing was to look for weapons on the tracks and then shoot each other. It was sad when the kids had to go back to school and I had to go back to work.

Now we have the latest and greatest video game consoles and the games are significantly better. It doesn't matter though as my kids are all grown and all but one are out of the house. He will leave this summer and then it will just be me, my wife, and our dog. I've tried teaching our dog to play Diddy Kong Racing but her paws are just too big and awkward to work the joy stick. Some things are best left for young kids on Christmas break.

No comments:

Post a Comment