Friday, March 13, 2015

An App for Disneyland

I just got back from a two-day vacation in Disneyland. My youngest daughter who is now 20 wanted to spend a couple of days there and so my wife and I joined her. Our oldest daughter didn't want to miss out on the fun and joined us with her husband. It was the first time for him and so we wanted to make it a memorable experience. Memorable in a happy way, I might add.

Normally I am not a fan of smartphone usage while on vacation. However my wife had the Disneyland Magic Guide on her phone and we used it throughout our stay. This past week must have been maintenance time at the park because several of the key rides were out of service and a number of others kept breaking down. We could quickly look at the app and see if our next intended destination was working, had a short line, or should be avoided.

Disneyland is notorious for overestimating wait times and so we always waited less than the app reported. It only took a few times to figure that out and we were able to have a pleasantly memorable experience in the Happiest Place on Earth.

For some reason my wife was able to get the app for free. I think it is because she installed it several years ago before they started charging for it. When I went to put it on my phone, they wanted $3.99 for it. If you don't mind wandering aimlessly around, then don't spend the money. If you enjoy working hard to plan a spontaneous vacation, then four bucks will be well spent. It will also be the cheapest part of your Disneyland trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment