Tuesday, March 24, 2015

E-mail on the Phone

I love being able to check my e-mail on my smartphone. It is very handy and useful when I am out and about. I can instantly check to see if there are any important messages that need attention while at the grocery store or even at Disneyland. However I much prefer to do e-mail on my laptop or desktop computer. There is something nice about being able to type on a full-size keyboard.

My day was spent in a very important meeting with other parts of my company and it was nice to have my laptop that I could pull out to read e-mail. Sure I could have used my phone but since I had my laptop, I used it. One of my colleagues from New York wasn't so lucky. Her Windows laptop inexplicably died and so she was stuck using her phone. At lunch she turned her laptop into our IT department and they started working on it. At the end of the day I found her wandering around trying to find our IT department so she could pick it back up. I walked with her to their lab and we found the guys still trying to bring her computer back from the dead. Unfortunately they were not done.

My colleague was happy that they were helping her and she told them that she would just try and use her phone to deal with the 225 or so unread e-mail messages. They worked some magic and gave her a loaner laptop complete with her e-mail loaded onto it. She was so happy not to be relegated to her tiny on-screen keyboard for the evening. I have to say I was happy our IT department could set her up with a loaner laptop so quickly. After all, 10 e-mail messages is about my limit on a phone, then I run the risk of destroying it out of frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment