Monday, April 27, 2015

A Step Backwards for iOS

I will admit that sometimes I don't like change. When Windows XP first came out, I thought the colors were ugly and that it was a step back for the Windows operating system look and feel. Then I got used to it and felt it was better than previous versions of Windows. When I upgraded my iPhone to version 8 of iOS, I hated the look and feel. I thought it would be like Windows XP and it would grow on me. Unfortunately after using it for several months, I still hate it. The designer that came up with it should be fired from Apple and never be able to find work in the computer software industry again. Furthermore, I think the managers that approved it should also be systematically fired. Who let this design happen?

There are a number of new features that Apple seems to think users will find important. I don't contend that some of those features are unneeded. I just think they did a horrible job with the user interface. The colors are bland and they have over-simplified things to the point that the dial pad for making calls is just plain ugly.

Sometimes we change things to make them better and other times we change things to just make it different. The latest version of iOS has changes to the UI to just be different and that is not a good thing. Fortunately there are other options out there. By contrast, the latest changes to Android are much more visually appealing. They did simplify a lot of the window dressing which makes for a cleaner experience. However they did make it visually appealing and much more fun to use. Hopefully someone at Apple notices and fixes the iOS user interface. Until then I may use my Android phone more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment