Sunday, May 24, 2015

Tomorrowland and Imagination

Last night I went and saw the new Disney movie Tomorrowland. The previews reminded me of my first trip to Disneyland when I was very young. Back then, Tomorrowland was much different than it is today. Now it is an area used to house a few futuristic rides but when I was a kid, it was a glimpse into what life in the future might be like. It was fun and exciting to a young boy and I remember getting excited about growing up and seeing changes for a better world.

It is interesting to look back at those predictions and see how far off we were. We still don't have flying cars nor do we have super-sonic planes for the general public. We had them for a while with the Concorde, but then they started falling out of the sky and the fleet was retired.  However there are things we have today that we didn't even imagine back then. Think about home computers, mobile phones, electronic books, and large flat-screen televisions. I also think we got a few things right. One thing that comes to mind is electric cars.

I came out of the movie remembering my early trips to Disneyland and wondering what life in the future will be like for my grandchildren. Will we colonize the moon or Mars? That was one thing talked about when I was a child and then forgotten. Now it is a topic that seems to be gaining traction again. What about solar electricity? Photovoltaic cells have been around for a very long time but are just now being used effectively to generate electricity. What advances will we see there? How about life in the ocean? There seem to be a wealth of possibilities underwater.

I think our future is only limited by our imagination. We have a quote on the wall at my office from Albert Einstein that says, "Knowledge will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment