Thursday, October 27, 2016

A New Company Benefit: Identity Theft Protection

My company had a meeting today where they rolled out next year's changes to our benefits package. For the most part, things are better than in years previous and I can't complain about anything. One interesting new perk is that of identity theft protection. Interestingly enough I have been thinking about picking this up for myself and am happy to see I don't need to.

There are a number of companies providing identity theft protection with Lifelock being the most popular. If you go to their website, you will see that 1 in 4 people are victims of identity theft. Those are pretty high odds and I don't want to take that risk.

I am one of those people that prefers not to store credit card numbers with my online accounts. While it takes a bit more time as I have to manually add my payment information for any purchases I make from a website, it reduces the chance of a bad guy getting my financial information. Unfortunately there are a number of sites that insist on storing that information for me and so I am glad to have this new benefit. Hopefully other companies are following this trend and making it part of your benefits package. If not, now you know what to ask the next time your human resources department requests feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment