Thursday, February 23, 2017

The Art of Using Time Wisely

Everybody has 24 hours in each day, yet not everyone uses that time wisely. There are the requisite work hours that most adults have to endure with seemingly little time left over. This week at work I have even felt like I could have done a better job of using that time better. When I recognize it, I can generally correct it quickly and today I found myself a much better steward of my time.

Computers and technology are supposed to help us and make things easier. Back in the 1970's, the microwave revolutionized cooking as it allowed us to dramatically reduce the time required to heat food. The personal computer in the 1980's provided a platform that sparked such applications as the spreadsheet and word processor that streamlined financial calculations and document creation. Then in the 1990's, the Internet came along and gave us a limitless amount of access to information. Any time someone has a question, it is a matter of typing a few words into a search engine and the answer instantly appears.

So with all of these technologies that allow us to reduce the time it takes to do certain tasks, are we better off than 30 years ago? While I can quickly get the answer to who won the 1980 World Series (Philadelphia Phillies), does that help me in my daily life? Sometimes it allows us more leisure time but more often than not, it just means that more is expected. We also have the problem that all this technology now creates distractions. You can spend hours wasting time doing things like watching YouTube videos or looking at stupid pictures of cats.

As you find yourself with all of these modern conveniences, be mindful of your time. Are you using technology to create a better life for yourself or are you just wasting away the hours?

No comments:

Post a Comment