Friday, February 17, 2017

Love and Hate Amazon

Yesterday I had an uneventful flight back to Los Angeles from Tokyo. My flight to Salt Lake got delayed an hour and change but I have come to expect that. I have started using my travel time to read and had my latest book read before the plane even left the ground at Hanada airport. When I finally arrived back in Salt Lake, one of my first tasks included finding more books to read.

I used to love Amazon as a bookstore. When my local bookstore didn't have a book, I could find it on the Internet and have it shipped to my house. Unfortunately a lot of people felt the same way and it didn't take long for a large number of bookstores to go out of business. Now it seems that there is only one large bookstore still around: Barnes and Noble. I will be flying again on Tuesday and don't have time to wait for an Amazon book to arrive.

I went to my closest Barnes and Noble only to find that I already owned every book they had that I am interested in reading. I have been there recently and already picked them clean. I did a quick Internet search to look for other bookstores in the area. It seems that the only other bookstores to survive Amazon's success are religious ones. While I do appreciate religion and have a large percentage of my bookshelf space devoted to those types of books, that is not what I wanted to look for last night. So I drove to the next closest Barnes and Noble. Fortunately they had a number of books of interest not currently in my personal library.

Amazon is a great place to purchase books and a lot of other things. However if you are just browsing for a book or need it immediately, I highly recommend visiting a local bookstore. Right now I am reading a lot of sailing and climbing books. While Amazon does a great job of providing a preview of the book online, it just doesn't compare to being able to leaf through the book to help you decide if it is the right one for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment