Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Official Start of Summer

This weekend signals the official start of summer as Memorial day is on Monday. In addition to the warmer weather, the days are also longer. This has me rethinking my nightly activities when I am in the Bay Area. While I could continue playing video games each night, the longer days have me thinking that there might be some better things to do with my time. Don't worry, I still plan to play video games, I just don't need to play as long.

One option is to spend more time on my kayak. While it might be fun to take my sailboat out every evening, that involves a lot of work stowing all of the electronics on the boat. It is much easier to take the kayak out and explore the local coastline. That also gives me some much-needed evening exercise.

Another option is to spend more time at the office. I ride my bike from the office to the boat each evening and the longer days mean I can spend more time working. While that may not sound like fun for most jobs, there are a lot of fun things to do in the evening at an office in the video game industry. We have a lot of "toys" to play with and I could use the extra time to experiment with new technologies. This is time I don't have during regular working hours.

I can also use this time to visit my son and his wife who live in San Jose. Of course this requires that I have a car because riding the 30 miles each way on my bike might not be possible even with the longer daylight hours. Getting a car in the Bay Area is an easy problem to solve and I can even bring one out on Monday as I have the whole day to drive it out.

More than likely I will come up with a mixture of the options mentioned above. Hopefully you also recognize the change in daylight hours and modify your schedule to use them to your advantage. Several years ago I would not have changed my daily routine as the seasons changed because every night involved watching TV. Now I realize there is more to do and it has opened a number of possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment