Thursday, October 19, 2017

Video Game Review: Battlefield 1

Last night I finished playing EA's Battlefield 1 on my PlayStation 4. I started playing the game as I wanted a well-done title that didn't take a lot of time. Battlefield 1 definitely fit that criteria and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I only completed the campaign for the base game and didn't try any of the online play nor did I download any of the extra content. If I didn't have such a backlog of games to play I would give both a try.

I have to confess that my history of World War I is very shallow and that serves as the time period for the game. My understanding is that EA put a lot of effort into making the game historically accurate and that made the game very appealing. I always enjoy learning new things and doing so while playing a video game makes it more worthwhile. I especially appreciated knowing that the German tank in the recent Wonder Woman movie was actually British and I got that from this video game.

There are 5 different stories once you complete the opening section of the game. Each story can be played independently of the others and I took around 2 hours per story. I thought I would enjoy the flying one (Friends in High Places) the most and confess it is very well done. Several people in my office that have played the game would agree that it is the best one of the group. However last night I played the Arabian desert story (Nothing is Written) and enjoyed it even more. Part of my preference has to do with the character development as well as the environment. I have spent a bit of time in Southern Utah over the past week and the Arabian desert looks very similar in some regards. I felt very much at home. All 5 stories are very well done and enjoyable to play.

We have seen a lot of games set in World War II and I appreciated a new venue for this type of game. It helps put things in perspective and shows the importance of constantly improving technology.

Battlefield 1 has been available for a while and you can get an all access pass that includes new downloadable content as well as the original game for around $25. That is about what I paid for my copy of the game and is a good value for the price. It has an ESRB rating of M for Mature because of violence and strong language.

No comments:

Post a Comment