Thursday, February 7, 2019

Getting Better at Video Games

So you want to get better at video games? A lot of people do. The Wall Street Journal ran an article back in July about parents paying for tutors so their kids can get better at Fortnite, a popular video game. When I started playing Red Dead Redemption 2, I did really well at the beginning but then found myself struggling. I wanted to get better and so I thought I would offer a few tips from someone that works with video games every single day.

Tip 1: Practice
Anyone who has ever learned to play a musical instrument knows the importance of daily practice. Since I have started learning to play the guitar, I try to practice for an hour a day. I am not always successful and can tell when I have taken a day off. The same applies to video games. If you want to get good at them, you need to make sure you are playing regularly. Unfortunately this may cut into other activities and so you will need to decided how good you want to get. I would much rather be an excellent skier and just a mediocre video game player and so I adjust my priorities accordingly. If you are still in school, I would place education over game-playing skill. You may disagree but you will be better off in the long run.

Tip 2: Watch other Players
Let's assume that you have decided to set aside one hour per day to practice video games. That is an appropriate amount as it acts to relieve stress and hone your problem-solving skills. Don't feel compelled to just play games in the hopes that you will get better. There are a number of forums such as YouTube and Twitch that have countless hours of game-play video.

You have your own style of play and will continue to do the same things over and over. By watching other players, you will pick up tips and tricks that you have not thought about. I suggest watching games that you have completed so you don't spoil some of the secrets in your current game unless it is repetitive like Fortnite. As you go through sections that you have completed you will find yourself wondering why you didn't think to try something while you were playing the game. Perhaps there is a secret room you missed or you used a noisy gun when a silent crossbow would have been a better weapon to take out a guard.

Watching other people play a game you are familiar with is a great way to help you develop new strategies for different games. If your game of choice is something like Fortnite, it will help you see what you might be doing wrong and how to survive longer.

Tip 3: Explore Trophies and Achievements
I used to not worry about trophies (on the PlayStation consoles) or achievements (on the XBox consoles). Then I had a coworker talk about how it changed up his play and made the game more enjoyable. I decided to take his advice and looked at the various trophies available for the games I play. Sometimes you will receive a trophy simply for changing out the various weapons in the game. I am one of those people that prefers a sniper rifle to a shotgun and so I rarely pick one up. Trying to get different trophies has encouraged me to try the various weapons in shooter games and I find myself becoming a better player overall. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer taking someone down from a distance but sometimes you don't have that option and if you find yourself in close-combat situations, it is important to know different fighting styles.

Trophies and achievements will also having you looking around for other parts of the game you may have not considered. There is one trophy in the Uncharted games where you just need to wade through a pool on an abandoned cruise ship. Knowing about the trophy had me wandering through various parts of the ship I might have ignored. Needless to say I found a bunch of different collectables and improved as a player.

Tip 4: Play other Games
I would have to say that my favorite type of video game is the action/adventure genre. I still play other types of games though. Earlier I mentioned Uncharted and that is one game where you are sometimes shooting bad guys, other times solving puzzles, and maybe even driving cars. That could be why I like it as I can get bored with the same thing over and over. There are a number of specialized games that can help. If you find yourself having trouble evading bad guys in a car, try picking up a driving game for your favorite console (Gran Turismo on the PlayStation or Forza on the XBox).

Someone in the video game industry recommending you to play different games my come off as a bit self-serving. After all, the more games you buy, the larger my bonus at the end of the year. However it isn't necessary to buy a bunch of different games. There are a number of places to borrow games including public libraries and close friends. Even if you don't plan to complete the game, borrow one every once and a while just to get a feel for what else is out there and see if it doesn't help you improve your video game skills.

I always try to change up the genres of video games I play to keep things fresh. While there are 6 Uncharted games that you can play (including 1 on the Vita), I have never played all 6 in a row. In fact, I have only completed 5 of the 6 as I am playing other games before moving onto the last one. I also probably should have changed genres after completing Far Cry 5 and moving onto Red Dead Redemption 2. I am getting a little bored with Red Dead Redemption 2 even though it is a great game and I loved the original so much.

Conclusion
There are probably a few other tips for helping you improve you video game playing skills. These are the ones that have worked for me. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to leave a comment. It may help someone trying to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment