Thursday, February 28, 2019

Increasing Blog Traffic

Lately I have been wondering how to increase traffic to this blog. I would also like to increase traffic to my YouTube channel and so I ran a little experiment. First I have to give credit to my wife who gave me the idea. She said that I can't just post stuff. I have to share the posting with as many people as possible. When you do that via e-mail, it is called SPAM. When you do it on social media sites like Facebook, it is considered normal.

I wanted to share a business article on LinkedIn and so I looked through my most recent posts. I could have chosen a video game review but I don't think that would have been received well. LinkedIn is just not the right audience for that. I also wanted to see if I could drive traffic to my YouTube channel at the same time. So I created a simple teaser that said something like, "Thinking of ditching your career and becoming the next YouTube celebrity?" I then provided a link to my "How to Make Money on YouTube" post. It fit the criteria I wanted as being business like as well as referencing my YouTube videos all over the place.

Traffic to my blog skyrocketed compared to normal. I had five times as many regular viewers for that post on the first day and three times as many the next. Furthermore I had people contact me via LinkedIn that I hadn't communicated with in years. I have to say that the first goal of getting more viewers to read my blog was a huge success.

With everyone reading an article about YouTube I thought that there would be a huge jump in video watching as well. Surprisingly the number of views for both of my videos never increased. That seems pretty strange because I usually get quite a few views of my Goblin Valley video every day with no promotion on my part. Nope, for the past 3 days the count has remained constant.

I also thought that my LinkedIn associates would see my blog and start looking at some of the other articles I have written. Nope, the only article being viewed is the one that I referenced in my post to LinkedIn.

I learned a lot with this little experiment. From now on, when I create a business post, I will make sure to post it to LinkedIn. It will help drive traffic to at least one article. It also beats doing nothing. Now if I could only figure out how to drive millions of views to my YouTube channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment