Friday, February 1, 2019

Lengthening My Blog Posts

This year I have a goal to increase my social network following. It is something I have not worried about since I started blogging back in 2009. So why does it matter now? Well, I would like to eventually write an article on increasing blog followers and YouTube video viewers. Given my current statistics for this blog and my YouTube channel, nobody is going to believe I know anything about that topic. Truth be told, I don't. At least not yet and so this year is going to be an experiment on how to change that.

In doing a bit of research on the Internet I have come across a number of articles talking about the importance of writing lengthy blog articles (1000 to 1500 words). Of course the content is key and just adding words to make an article longer isn't going to help. However longer articles are more likely to be referenced in other blogs which adds to the number of viewers. There are some exceptions but that is how worthless lottery tickets get purchased as people believe they are an exception and not the norm.

After reading about longer articles, I thought I would experiment and made sure my last article came in at over 1000 words. I actually tried to make it 1500 but ran out of time (it takes a long time to write 1500 words). Then I sat tight and watched how many more views that article receives vs. some of my others. I wish I could say that the number of readers increased significantly. It started out strong but now doesn't seem to be getting any more traffic than a short posting. I'm not sure if that is because of the content or if all of my blog posts need to be more lengthy before other readers start to notice. Both are probably a factor and so I will need to do more work before I can draw any significant conclusions.

The only downside with writing longer articles is that I have to be a lot more organized. I also have to come up with topics that matter to people. In the past I could sit down at the airport and just write about some new technology I worked with during the week. That is still possible but I will need to take a bit more time and discuss the topics more thoroughly.

Feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you think. Should I keep my posts to around 300 words or lengthen them to over 1000?

No comments:

Post a Comment