Thursday, October 14, 2021

Silicon Slopes Summit 2021

Today I attended the second day of the Silicon Slopes Summit. I attended as a guest of another company and appreciate Lucid Software for inviting me to the event. I made sure to wear my PlayStation 5 jacket and got a lot of comments. I learned a lot and want to share some of that today.

When I first arrived, I made sure to register and get my wristband so I could move freely about the summit. One of the people there saw my jacket and asked if I work for PlayStation. I told him I did and he responded that he loves his PlayStation 5. Naturally I asked how he managed to get one and he gave me a good secret. He said that a local furniture chain (RC Wiley) has some in stock and you just need to ask if they have any. Sometimes people will get a PS5 ordered but then not be able to pay for it. If you get them on the right day, you can pick up a new console. I will have to check if that works. Fortunately it did for the guy I talked to.

Next I went to look for the Lucid booth so I could thank them for the ticket to the summit. It took me a bit because I couldn't find a map of the exhibits floor. I ended up walking around and eventually found them. While walking around, I had several people ask me if I worked for PlayStation. They all thought it was cool and had some good questions. The most common was why there is a shortage of consoles. The best answer I could give is that we are manufacturing them as quickly as possible but demand is more than anticipated.

I did a bit more walking around the floor and discovered that there are a lot of companies hiring in the Salt Lake area. Now is a great time to see about improving your job situation if you live here. I liked seeing what new technology companies are in the area.

Eventually I made my way to the presentation that drew me to the conference in the first place. I enjoyed what I saw and glad I could attend. Once I finished the presentation I boarded the train and headed home.

Looking forward to the next Silicon Slopes Summit, it is an event that I will plan to attend in the future. Should you find yourself in the area next year, I recommend setting aside some time so you can do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment