Friday, October 29, 2021

Time for a New Adventure

After 11 and a half years at Sony PlayStation it is time to move to a new adventure. Monday, November 1st will be my last day. It has been a great ride and I have enjoyed my time there a lot. When I first started, I thought it would only be a 3-month job. I originally started as a contractor working in the Research and Development group. The guy that hired me needed someone to take over so he could go back to his native South Africa to watch the 2010 World Cup. When he got back, I kept waiting to be let go. That never happened.

During my time at Sony Interactive Entertainment, I got to see the launch of the PlayStation 4. Employees were given the chance to buy the new consoles and receive them 2 days before the general public. The PS4s came in on Thursday and I had my new console in hand as I headed to the airport to fly home. Some people in the shuttle bus were so excited to see the new device before its release date that they took pictures with it on the way to the airport.

Not long after the release of the PS4, I had a bunch of friends ask if I would join their new company. I went into the office on Monday prepared to resign from Sony. On the way to talk with my boss, I got pulled into someone's office and asked to start working on the PS5. I couldn't say no to that and so I ended up turning down my friends and staying at PlayStation for a few more years.

With the release of the PS5 and my latest project moving into production with the next update of the console software, it is time to move on. Unfortunately my career has stagnated for the past couple of years at SIE and it will be good to jump start it at a new company. First I plan to take a few weeks off and get ready for my next adventure. I will be sure to post where I land.

No comments:

Post a Comment