Friday, October 22, 2021

Meeting In-Person For the First Time

This morning I got on a flight to head to the Bay Area for a quick trip. When I arrived in town, I headed to a local restaurant next to my office in San Mateo. A large group awaited me as they knew I would be in town and everyone wanted to get together. COVID-19 has prohibited coworkers from meeting in person and the group finally felt safe getting together.

We had a lot of new faces at lunch today. While I have seen everyone on frequent conference calls, today is the first time I have physically met some of them. This includes my data scientist that I hired back in January. We talk almost daily over video conferencing but I have never met him face-to-face. I have to confess that he looks significantly different than I thought. For one thing, he is tall. I always assumed we were the same height. Nope, he towers above me. There are other differences but nothing bad, just not the image I had of him.

Our department has hired a number of other people and it was good to meet them today as well. None of them looked significantly different than from the usual video conferences. I imagine that it is because I only see them once a week whereas I see my data scientist almost daily. I wonder how many other people are having or will have similar experiences once we all return to the office. Furthermore I wonder how different I look in person to the new guys on the team. Hopefully I didn't disappoint them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment