Monday, December 18, 2023

SPAM E-mail Can Be Funny

Every day I go through my SPAM e-mail to make sure the filter didn't catch something I want to receive. To some, this might seem like a chore. To me it is a humorous exercise that always puts a smile on my face. Today I thought I would share some of my favorites from yesterday's SPAM.

  • Mysterious Israeli Nuclear Arsenal: International Intrigue Deepens - This is funny to me because Israel has had nuclear weapons for quite some time. It forms the plot from Tom Clancy's book "The Sum of all Fears." It is hardly newsworthy let alone "International Intrigue."
  • BREAKING NEWS: Putin Drops "Financial Nuclear Bomb" on America - If this is breaking news, why have I been getting the same e-mail for over a year.
  • Dr. Fauci's Final Strike Against America? - With the COVID pandemic reduced to a footnote thanks to vaccines, someone is out there trying to keep Dr. Fauci's memory alive.
  • RIP: 401(k)s, Pensions, Mutual funds . . . - I don't think they are going anywhere soon. Inflation may reduce their value but they still remain viable investment vehicles. Sometimes they even keep pace with inflation.
  • China's Secret Plan to Bankrupt Millions of Americans? - This one could be real and I think it is called Temu. With prices that low, people will continue to buy useless crap they don't need.
  • Zelensky's Surprise: Ukraine's Military Boosted by AI! - I think the more surprising headline with Ukraine's defense against Russia is that it is still going on. Theoretically Russia should have rolled over Ukraine in the first 3 months of fighting. The fact that the fighting is still going on leads to questions about Russia as a military powerhouse.
  • Bombshell Confession from Gates (SHOCKING) - Why would I care? Somehow people think that every little thought in certain successful peoples' heads should be major news. It isn't.
  • Pending Order [#48752-11] 36 Piece Tupperware Modular Set - Wait I never made that order. That is what the Spammer is hoping I will say and click on something in an effort to contest the order. The best option is to not do anything at all.
  • Medicine's Newest Marvel: A Pill Against Obesity - Yes there are some prescriptions you can take that will diminish your appetite but there are more reputable sources for this kind of news.

I find most of these subject lines humorous because they seem so outlandish to most people with common sense. So how to they get people's attention? All they need to do is find one area of insecurity and the spammer will snag a victim. Perhaps they all seem outlandish to you except for the one about AI. You don't quite understand AI and how it is being used and so the e-mail will lure you in to read it. Then BAM! You have infected your computer with a virus, malware, or some other malady. Furthermore the person that snared you now knows your vulnerability and will continue to use it.

Hopefully you have not been lured by one of the previous headlines. If you have, you have my sympathies and I hope you have extracted yourself from any harm it may have caused. My biggest reason for sharing this list, besides a personal laugh, is to help others recognize what SPAM is floating around and keep them from becoming a victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment