Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Disk or Digital Download

This evening I watched the movie Cars 3 using a digital streaming service. This brought up a conversation about purchasing disks on movies or streaming them. My personal preference is to purchase disks and my oldest daughter echoed that sentiment when she pointed out that she tried to watch Cool Runnings on a streaming service but it is no longer available. When you own the disk, you never have to worry about that problem.

At the office we have similar discussion going on: are disks better than digital downloads for games. Once again my preference is a physical disk. I do see how a digital download can be better though. I travel between Utah and California weekly. When I play a video game from a disk, I have to carry that disk with me back and forth. If I purchased the game as a digital download, I would just need to download it to my console in California and my console in Utah but only purchase it once. Then I wouldn't need to carry a disk back and forth.

The reason we watched tonight's movie as a digital download is that nobody felt like going to a store to purchase a disk copy. I just turned on my TV and ordered it through one of my online services. I also had a free coupon so I didn't even have to pay for the viewing this evening. Ultimately I will be going to get the movie on disk as it is one I want to keep in my video library. That way when the grand kids show up, I can just pull out the disk.

What would be nice is a service that lets you buy the movie or game online. Then they ship you the disk so you can have a copy later. That is the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment