Wednesday, October 7, 2009

First Snow


The mountains behind my house now have a fresh coat of paint. I guess you could say that Utah really is a two-season state: Summer and Winter. On September 29th, it was over 80 degrees at my house. Then a cold front moved in and we had snow in the mountains. Over the next couple of days it continued to snow and so I decided to see if there was enough to ski.

On Monday I took my youngest son with me up to Alta (pictured above). It is only ten miles away but 4,000 feet higher than my house. We drove up the narrow canyon and watched as rain turned to snow and then started to accumulate. When we got to the Alta Ski Resort parking lot, it was full of cars. It seems others had the same idea.

There was more than enough snow to ski and so we put on our boots and slung our skis over our shoulders. The lifts were not running and won't start for another month. That means if you want to ski, you have to do it the old fashioned way and hike up the hill. It took us about an hour to climb to our usual starting point. I pulled out my iPhone and took my son's picture to prove that there was snow at the beginning of October. Furthermore you can see that the snow is coming down pretty good.

Our run down only took a couple of minutes but it was a lot of fun. We stopped along the way and took a few more pictures. My son even insisted on taking a picture of me. Since I am always the one behind the camera, it is nice to have a picture or two.

So what does this have to do with computers and technology? Absolutely nothing. I thought about mentioning how my phone has a camera and so I find myself capturing events that would normally be missed. However that is a bit of a stretch. I could have talked about how it also plays music which made my hike seem to go quicker. However I took this chance to talk with my son as we walked up the steep mountain. That also made the hike go quickly. I guess all I can say is that sometimes you don't need technology to have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment