Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Constructive Procrastinating

There is an item on my list of things to do that is causing me problems. I have been working on it for the past two days and am not making any progress. It is a problem with Tomcat and while there is a lot of documentation for the software, the information is mostly worthless. Faced with pouring through more online manuals or playing video games, I am leaning towards the video games.

I really should be working right now but am taking a break because I am procrastinating. My hope is that making this blog entry will give me some insight into the problem at hand and that I will be able to figure out what is going wrong and make it right. So far it seems to be working. I am already making a mental list of the next steps to try. The trick is to write the list down and go attack the problem.

When I find myself working on a problem for too long, I stop being productive. At that point it is nice to take a step back, do something useful, and then go back to the problem. If that doesn't work then it is time to ask one of my coworkers. Hopefully I get this solved before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment