Thursday, January 6, 2011

Volunteers and Websites

I was able to take close to two weeks off during Christmas and am just now finding time to get back to the blog. It was very nice to be at home for two weeks and not have to worry about anything but skiing. Other than a very mild case of frostbite on the end of my nose, it was a great vacation.

Next week Snowbird will be hosting its first race of the season and I am responsible for coordinating volunteers. Once I get everyone lined up, my wife takes care of them during the race to ensure everyone knows what they are doing. Last year, the Snowbird Ski Team implemented a website to enlist the help of volunteers. If you want to help with a race, just go to the team's website, click on the "Volunteer" link, pick a race, and sign up. The site sends me a message and I put your name in the appropriate place.

The website is a great idea as I have the ability to recruit volunteers long before the race happens. It does have a downside though. People will often sign up early to reserve a spot at events. Then as the deadline approaches, they discover that something else has come up and they can't make the race. Yesterday three different people canceled on me. Now I have to try to find replacements at the last minute. Anybody out there going to be at Snowbird next week and want free passes?

No comments:

Post a Comment