Thursday, November 16, 2017

A Dreary Bay-Area Day

Last night I rode back to my sailboat from my office just before the rain started. I managed to put my bike away and then the sky opened slightly with a heavy mist coating everything. I just buttoned up the boat and pulled out my guitar for several hours of practice.

The rain falling on the boat deck has a very comforting sound, making it easy to fall asleep. This morning I woke up to the same sounds of rain around me. I altered my usual routine to make sure I stayed as dry as possible by staying inside the boat. Then at the last minute, I got my bike out of the boat, vacuumed the cabin, and rode off to work. I arrived less than 15 minutes later and very pleased with the high-quality rain gear I purchased several years ago.

Once at the office, I spent more time on an exercise bike looking out the window at the rain soaking everything outside. Fortunately I could look at the miserable weather from the comfort of the company gym and didn't have to try and go anywhere on my bicycle.

Now I am at the San Francisco airport getting ready to catch my flight back to Salt Lake and am pleasantly surprised that my projected departure is still on time. I also find myself in front of a large window looking out at the poor baggage handlers having to do duty in the elements outside. It does not look pleasant.

It is days like this that make you want to curl up with a good book or jot down your thoughts on a computer. When I look at the technology involved in keeping me from having to live in the outside elements I have found something to be thankful for. That is important during this time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment