Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Mixed Reality or MR

Yesterday I participated in a Mixed Reality demo. What is Mixed Reality? It is the intersection of virtual reality and the real world. In Disney's "Mary Poppins" there is a scene where a live human (Dick Van Dyke) dances with animated penguins. That is sort of an example of Mixed Reality.

I can't go into too much detail about the demo I saw yesterday because of non-disclosure agreements but it consisted of a virtual reality headset like the PlayStation VR or Oculus Rift with external cameras added. The demo started in the virtual world where players could interact with simple objects like wooden blocks or bouncing balls. The demo then shifted to mixed reality where the player could see their surroundings with some of the elements of the virtual world included. My favorite part of the demo is when one of the characters from the virtual world interacted with a lamp in the real world and turned it on.

I enjoyed the demo and found the idea of Mixed Reality to be very interesting. Now I wonder what uses it will have in the future. A few days ago I mentioned that it is best to meet work colleagues in person for collaboration. I wonder if mixed reality can be used as a good substitute. Perhaps I should create my own demo and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment