Monday, December 11, 2017

Time to Replace a Phone

Once again it is time to replace my old Android Smartphone. The old one had this funny problem where it would turn itself off and I could not turn it back on unless I plugged it into the charger. It didn't happen very often but I finally got tired of it and asked for a new phone. After all, it is the phone provided by my place of employment and I don't have to pay for a new one.

I had the option of an iPhone or an Android phone. As my personal phone is an iPhone, I opted to get the Android phone. I like the flexibility of having both an Apple and an Android. My new phone is very similar to my old one in features and is waterproof. While I don't really plan to ever test that feature, it is good to know about it in case something bad happens.

Any time you need to replace an electronic device like a laptop or phone, you will need some time to set up the new device. Fortunately I didn't opt for the iPhone as it would have been very difficult to get all of my applications and data moved to the new phone. Ultimately I just ended up moving the SIM card from my old phone to the new one and turned them both on. They were both connected to the WiFi network and recognized that one needed to be backed up and restored to the new one. That made everything convenient. I didn't need to transfer contacts as that happened the moment I entered my Google login information on the new phone. It is also important to remember that the process was not instantaneous. It took a few minutes and required me to enter some information on the new phone.

Today I finished pairing up my exercise headphones to the new phone. That is something I forgot when I got the new phone last week. There are a number of speaker systems I have at home that are also not paired to my new device. Fortunately it comes with NFC pairing so I just have to touch the phone to speakers and they will pair automatically. That is not something you can do on an iPhone but is a very convenient feature.

It is nice to have a smartphone without little problems. It is also nice that moving to a new one has gotten to be so seamless. Now if we can make upgrading computers this easy, I might think about replacing my laptop computers more frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment