Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Replacing My Avalanche Beacon

My oldest son loves to research outdoor equipment. This past weekend he came to me and told me it is time to replace my current avalanche beacon (or transceiver as it is sometimes known). The company that made my mine is recommending I replace it with a newer model. The justification is that mine is an older 2-antenna model and the latest 3-antenna models have faster search times, are easier to use, and are more efficient.

That begs the question: What do I do with my old one? After all, I haven't used it that much and know it still works well. We make sure to test our beacons all the time. It helps reassure us that they function as advertised and that we are not learning how to use our equipment when we really need it. You don't want to be fumbling around with a new toy when someone's life is on the line.

With Christmas just around the corner, I am in no hurry to replace my current  transceiver as Santa may have one for me under the Christmas tree. If I don't get one a month from now then I will go out and purchase one and have to do something with the old one. My wife suggested that we use it for practice. That is not a bad idea. Another idea I had is to use it as a loaner for someone coming along with us on an adventure who may not have one. It sounds like a good idea but I am afraid it will promote a false sense of security.

I think the best course of action is to do what I do with all other outdated electronic devices and that is to utilize the services of an e-waste company. Our local Best Buy has a number of bins at the entrance of their store where you can drop off old electronic devices and they will dispose of them in a way that is better for the environment than just putting them in landfill. As with old climbing ropes that should be cut into unusable sections, I may take a hammer to mine so that nobody is tempted to used the antiquated device. If I have tears in my eyes as the hammer comes down, it is probably just allergies . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment