Tuesday, November 5, 2019

I Guess I Wasn't Done

A few posts ago I mentioned that I was pretty much done with God of War for the PS4 as it stopped being fun. I had one last trophy to earn and felt like no matter what I did, I was not going to earn it. This weekend I talked to my son who completed the game and finished the last task that I found so difficult. He gave me some pointers and this evening I tried them out. Guess what? They worked and now I have finished another game and earned a platinum trophy.

So what is the trick to beating the last of the Valkyries? For me it all boiled down to weapons choice. I have played all of the main God of War games starting with the version on the PlayStation 2. In going through those games I really liked using the Blades of Chaos. The moment I unlocked them in this game, I started using them with reckless abandon. Don't follow my example. My son used the ax and that made all of the difference. The ax inflicts more damage than the Blades of Chaos. It also takes a bit more skill to use well.

Another thing I did that helped finish the game is paying attention to all of my meters and gauges. Before I would try to land large attacks only to discover I did not wait long enough for the power to refill. This evening I would quickly glance down and constantly check when I could use the larger attacks. Once the power filled, I would unleash the attack.

As I got towards the end of the final battle, I could see my health dwindling down to almost nothing. I noticed I had enough power to unleash 2 simultaneous large attacks and used them. That allowed me to defeat the final boss and I became elated. It has taken me weeks of getting my butt kicked and I finally triumphed. Now it is time to move onto another game. I have Spider-Man loading up right now and will start playing it shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment