Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Poor Sound Playing DVD on PS5

Friday night my wife and I sat down to watch a DVD with a guest and had to do some troubleshooting with my surround-sound system. The father of a friend from work was driving his motor home from Calgary to Phoenix. He had planned to spend the night in a Walmart parking lot but I offered to let him park it at our house and sleep in one of our guest bedrooms. The weather is a bit cold and while I'm sure he had a nice bed in the RV, running water and heat would be nice too. He accepted and joined us for our Friday-night movie.

For the past week or so, I have been trying to watch the 2004 version of Flight of the Phoenix. This seemed like a very appropriate movie as my friend's dad is a pilot and was headed to Phoenix on his road trip. We put the DVD into the PS5 and jumped past all of the previews. When the movie started, the speakers sounded like I had blown one of them. I knew they were fine as we have been watching a lot of movies lately. To double-check, I switched the receiver from the PS5 to a radio station and the audio came out clear. Therefore I knew it was a problem with the PS5.

Not wanting to play around too long and troubleshoot the problem, I quickly moved the disk to the PS4 and the sound had no issues. We watched the movie and my friend's dad really appreciated the audio. The powered subwoofer created a very unique experience for him, especially in that movie.

The next day, I wanted to figure out if there is a perpetual problem with DVD's playing on the PS5 and so I took the time to troubleshoot the issue. After all, if there is a problem, I could always reach out to my buddy that works on the CODECs for the PlayStation consoles and log a bug even though I no longer work there.

When I am done using my PS5, I always put it in standby mode. That allows any updates to automatically download and install. The first thing I tried is powering off the PS5 and then restarting it. I put in the DVD and it played fine. I wish I had known that the previous evening but now I do. Should you find the sound not working correctly in a movie you are playing on your PS5, just restart the device and see if the problem goes away. If not, then it is a different problem than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment