Monday, November 1, 2021

Fresh Fruit From Hawaii

One of my favorite things about visiting Hawaii is getting fresh papaya. For some reason, the papayas here on the mainland just are not that great. After eating a particularly bland one here in Utah, my daughter took it upon herself to figure out the difference between mainland papaya and papaya from Hawaii. It turns out the fruit on the mainland is usually "Imperial Papaya" from Mexico and is about the size of an American football. The fruit in Hawaii is actually "Strawberry Papaya" or sometimes known as Hawaiian Papaya and is much smaller. It also tastes a lot better.

The net is that I love Hawaiian papaya and think mainland papaya tastes like earwax. I mentioned this yesterday to some friends and one remarked that he misses Hawaiian-grown pineapples. He even went so far as to say that he would pay a premium for real Hawaiian pineapples. I told him that you can get Hawaiian fruit air freighted to your home. That is what I do when I want real papaya.

For those reading that are willing to spend a little money to get some fresh Hawaiian fruit, my favorite place to get it is: Dole Fruit Hawaii. Every couple of weeks I will get a box and eagerly await its arrival.

One nice thing about the Internet is being able to find such interesting food. If you have a favorite food that you can't find in the usual stores, let me know as I am sure I am not the only one that appreciates tropical fruit during the cold winter months.


No comments:

Post a Comment