Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Not all Televisions are Created Equal

Before starting this posting, I want to reiterate that I work for Sony and we make televisions, very good ones. Unfortunately that means they are expensive compared to other brands. So I will refrain from comparing brands and use general information that applies to all manufacturers.

Before the advent of flat television displays, the Sony Trinitron televisions set the standard for picture quality thanks to patented technology. Then people ditch relatively small and cumbersome tube TVs for flat LCD, LED, and Plasma televisions. Sony lost a significant portion of their industry dominance. With most televisions being made in the same factories it has gotten hard to tell the difference between the many different brands. Furthermore, brands that didn't exist back in the Trinitron days, such as Vizio, now seem ubiquitous. How do you know which TV to buy?

It is important to remember that not all televisions are created equal. As you research which one to buy, pay attention to features and specifications to ensure you get what you want. I'll illustrate with my last television purchase. Sony has several levels of models irrespective of size. It doesn't matter if it is a 55-inch or 85-inch, there are differences between the different models. There is also different technology such as LED vs. OLED with the later producing a higher-quality picture. Unfortunately OLED also comes with some downsides and so it is important find out what they are and make sure you can live with them.

To simplify things, let's focus on LED technology with a resolution of 4K. Sony has models in their value line (because nobody likes to use the word "cheap"), mid-level line, and high-end. Given just that information, everyone wants the high-end. That is until you look at the price tag. Then that value line starts looking pretty good. That is what I decided when I bought my last television. I have a home theater and have the space for an 85-inch television. I bought the cheapest one from Sony made even cheaper because I got a huge employee discount. I didn't do any more research than that: price.

When I went back to Sony, I started working with the consumer electronics arm of the company and discovered why the mid-level and high-end lines cost more. Furthermore I discovered I really didn't want the value-line, I wanted the mid-level or high-end. The picture quality is significantly better and I will leave it up to you to research the differences between the specs. My oldest son profited from my research and recently picked up an 85-inch mid-level model. His picture quality is significantly better than mine.

This is where it is great to go into a Costco or other electronics store to compare the picture quality of the various models. When you read about specs, you don't think you will notice a difference. If you order online, your new TV arrives and you think all is well. Then you get the chance to see the difference and it has you questioning your purchase choice.

I'm not going to throw away a perfectly working 85-inch 4K television and so I will live with my purchase. Should someone offer to buy it or should it break in any way, then I will be sure to look at specifications much more closely and not base my decision solely on price. Anyone want to buy an 85-inch TV?

No comments:

Post a Comment