Wednesday, December 21, 2011

MotorStorm Apocalypse

When I first got my PlayStation 3, there were several titles that I wanted to get. I kept seeing MotorStorm and wanted a copy. Since my brother worked for Sony at the time, I had him get me the game. I have to say that it was one of my favorites. The first MotorStorm takes place in southern Utah and is a very good representation of that part of the state. I have a buddy who is an avid four wheeler and was amazed at how realistic the game was. When the next version of MotorStorm came out, I was still having fun with the original and didn't feel the need to get it. Then I had someone offer to pick me up the third installment, MotorStorm Apocolypse, for $10. So I got it. Today I finally decided to put it in my PS3 and give it a shot.

MotorStorm Apocalypse was developed by Evolution Studios, LTD which belongs to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE). Sony Computer Entertainment is the same company that makes the PlayStation consoles and so the game is only available for the PlayStation 3. They also try to show off all of the cool features available for the platform. One such feature is 3D. Unfortunately I don't have a 3D TV yet and so I didn't get to play that mode. If you have one of the new PlayStation 3D displays, you can play in SimulView. This allows two people to play on the same TV without having to split the screen.

I tried to play MotorStorm Apocalypse a week ago but it required a system update and so I didn't bother as I was limited for time. I didn't think anyone had been playing the game, but I was wrong. My son had completed the entire first day races. I tried the first race on the second day and kept finishing last, so I went back to the menu and started at the beginning. While the original title was like extreme off-road racing, Apocalypse takes extreme to a whole new level. Dare I say, an unbelievable level. You get to race around a vacant city that is experiencing severe earthquakes. Buildings are falling down around you as the race must go on. You even get the chance to race across the rooftops of skyscrapers. One wrong move and you get to fly off into oblivion. Furthermore, if you don't hit your boost at the right time, you don't make certain jumps and crash into the side of a building.

I like MotorStorm Apocalypse but prefer the original MotorStorm. It is rated T for crude humor, drug reference, language, suggestive themes, and violence. I did one full lap with a motorcyclist clinging to my front bumper. I would recommend it for anyone that likes driving games, has a PS3, and is into over-the-top scenarios.

No comments:

Post a Comment