Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Video Game for my Daughter

Both of my sons love to play video games and so it has been a bit of a challenge to find a game that my 17-year-old daughter would want to play. A little while ago there was a charity drive at work where we could donate $5 to a local cause and then receive three random, yet unopened video games. The titles were from a number of different studios and I found myself with some interesting games. One was a basketball sports game that I gave away to someone on a plane. Another was a popular arcade game that my boys decided to keep. The third game was one that I thought my daughter would like: The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian from Disney Interactive Studios.

For some reason, my youngest son opened the packaging and gave it a shot. My daughter was so mad at him that she didn't ever bother to play the game. As I was home this Christmas break, I sat down with my daughter and played it with her. The game has been out since 2008 and includes a lot of different scenes from the movie. My daughter loves the Narnia movies and so that immediately held her interest to at least give the game a shot.

Prince Caspian is one of the few games I own that can be played in 1080i and the higher resolution allows for a lot of details in the game. There is an opening scene with a stain-glassed window that is really vivid. The game is also fun in that it can be played with one or two players on the same console. Ideally there should be two people playing at the same time, but one person works fine.

The game follows the movie where there are a number of characters working together for a common goal. You have to work with other creatures, such as giants, to accomplish your objectives. Sometimes you are trying to solve a puzzle while other times you are fighting with the bad guys. At one point in the game, we didn't know what we needed to do and were getting bored of killing the enemy. I wanted to get some help from the Internet and hit the "Start" button. That paused the game, but also gave a list of objectives. Once we understood what we were supposed to do, it became easy to complete the task.

My daughter and I played for about 3 hours and had a great time. It was a lot more entertaining than watching the movie (I preferred the other two Narnia movies). The game is rated T because of violence. It wasn't too graphic, but you do run around killing people. As it is from Disney, it is available for the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, XBox 360, PC, Wii, and Nintendo DS. I would recommend it to any father wanting to spend some quality time with his children.

No comments:

Post a Comment