Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Apple Blue Screen of Death

Friday night I was at the airport in Oakland headed back to Utah when my MacBook Pro's screen went blue and stayed that way. I was hoping it would fix itself, but it didn't. I had to turn it off so I could get on the plane. Needless to say I wasn't happy to have my Mac crash like that.

All I could do on the flight home was worry about what went wrong. I have been working on a number of projects and if my solid-state drive (SSD) went bad, I would have to recreate everything. I was also headed to Utah for the week and if I couldn't get my Mac back from the dead, I had no way to log into the servers back in my office.

I got home and used another computer to do a search on the Internet trying to figure out how to do a hard reboot for my Mac. Normally I would unplug the laptop and remove the battery. Unfortunately these new MacBooks don't have a removable battery. A quick search told me to plug in the laptop and then press the shift, control, and option keys at the same time as the power key. That resets everything on the computer.

I followed the instructions and then turned the computer back on. It booted right up and was back from the dead. The whole reason I moved from Microsoft Windows to the Apple Mac was because of Window's blue screen of death. Now I am getting it on the Mac, albeit not nearly as often.

No comments:

Post a Comment