Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Winter Driving

I don't know how I managed to stumble across the video on YouTube showing some of the worst 2012 truck accidents caught on video. Once I started watching though, I couldn't stop. You only need to watch about half of the video as the second half is full of repeats. The first accident on the video shows how important it is to pay attention while driving in winter conditions. One lapse in judgement can send your car sliding out of control and into oncoming traffic.

When I am in California during the week, I don't really have to worry too much about winter driving as there is never any snow or ice on the road. Tonight it is supposed to get down below freezing, but anyone who drives in the snow knows that a couple of hours below freezing is not likely to create treacherous conditions. No, I have to worry about winter driving on weekends when I am back in Utah.

Last week I managed to contract an ear infection. I was glad to get on a plane Friday evening and have the weekend to recuperate. I thought about forcing myself to ski for a few runs on Saturday, but I just wasn't up to it. Instead I stayed in bed all day and watched the Ice Road Truckers marathon with seven episodes all in a row. If you think it is tough keeping a car on an icy road, try doing it in an large truck with 80,000 pounds of cargo.

As winter driving will be with us for the next few months, I thought I would gather some links to sites with a few suggestions:

Caltrans Winter Driving Tips
AAA Winter Driving Tips
The Weather Channel Winter Driving Tips

My motivation for passing these along are purely for selfish reasons. I know how to drive in the snow. I don't want someone else running into me and pushing me into a head-on collision with a large long-haul trucker. That would really ruin my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment