Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Smart Watches

My first introduction to Kickstarter was from a coworker who committed money to the Pebble watch. He should be able to get his watch soon as they started shipping today. There are a number of other smart watches on the market from companies like Sony and a slew of no-name companies trying to make their mark. I like the idea of Kickstarter, but am more intrigued by this new fad of smart watches.

One of the distinguishing characteristics of my children's generation is that they don't wear watches. There is no need because everyone just checks the time on their smart phones. If someone was to pitch me on the idea of a smart watch that connects to a smart phone, my first thought would be that it is a stupid idea based on my kids' friends adoption of previous watch technology. However upon further reflection, it may not be such a bad idea. Perhaps the watches of yesterday just don't appeal to kids today because they have such limited functionality.

The second-screen experience is becoming more ubiquitous. You can use your tablet as an overgrown remote for your television as well as to see the director's commentary about the movie you are watching. Why not extend the second-screen for your phone? When you hear it ring, don't worry about taking it out of your pocket, just check your watch to see who is calling. If it is your friends texting you to go to the movies, you can see the message with the twist of your wrist. Maybe there is something to these smart watches. I may have to get me one.

No comments:

Post a Comment