Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Christmas After Christmas

I once got in trouble for telling my wife I was going to purchase something for myself right before Christmas. It was a pair of snow boots and I didn't think anyone would be getting them for me as boots really should be tried on before they are bought. I was headed out the door when my wife stopped me and told me that is what she got me for Christmas that year. I felt bad and since then we have a rule in the family: you are not allowed to buy anything for yourself from November 1st until Christmas day.

Now that Christmas is over, I have spent the past couple of days online purchasing things that I needed but didn't get for Christmas. There are a number of auto parts that I need to fix up my daughter's Jeep. I also had to get a brake kit for my BMW as the rear brakes are really squeaky.

I didn't limit my shopping to just physical goods as I also picked up some hotel reservations. My wife and I got free seasons passes to Jackson Hole ski resort, which is only a 4 or 5 hour drive. Naturally they are only good if you use them and we try to take a ski trip or two each year above and beyond the daily skiing I do when I am in Utah. We have two trips planned for the year and found a place with $65/night room rates. Normally I would stay away from budget deals, but we have stayed there before and the place isn't too bad.

Finally there were a number of flight reservations that I needed to make. I fly twice a week whether I want to or not and so that takes a bit of coordination. Most of my flights are on Southwest as they generally have the best deals. Sometimes I can find a better price on Delta and so it is nice to open multiple browser windows and compare ticket costs.

Sadly I spent more on the Christmas after Christmas than I did on Christmas. Perhaps there is a flaw in our rule of not buying stuff in November and December.

No comments:

Post a Comment