Monday, December 13, 2021

Alternatives to Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint

Ever since I gave back my work laptop I have been having to work without Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. This has forced me to look at alternatives to those 3 pillar applications. Fortunately there are a number of other solutions you can use. While you may have to fix a few issues due to missing features, these other solutions work well for most tasks.

My home desktop computer is actually a Mac Mini. The Mac comes with 3 alternatives to Microsoft's suite of office products. Pages is the replacement for MS Word, Numbers is the replacement for Excel, and Keynote is the replacement for PowerPoint. I have to be honest and say that Pages does a pretty good job of replacing Word but I prefer Word. I also have to say that I prefer Excel to Numbers. I have used both of the Microsoft products for years and am probably just used to them. However there are some differences that make me wish I still had access to MS Word and Excel. That being said, Keynote is much better than PowerPoint. This is one area where I prefer the Apple product. It has a much cleaner interface and just seems to do things better.

Don't worry, you don't need to have a Mac to replace Microsoft's Office software. There are a number of other alternatives. My favorite is probably LibreOffice. It used to be called OpenOffice and was owned by Sun Microsystems. OpenOffice was originally developed in Germany as a replacement for Microsoft Office when Sun purchased it. Sun then open sourced the software and it gathered quite the following. When Oracle bought Sun, the open-source contributors were afraid Oracle would ruin the product and so they created a fork of the project that became LibreOffice. Both are actually great replacements and work well.

I have done a lot of work helping both the LibreOffice and OpenOffice communities. I think they are very full-featured products and don't hesitate to recommend them as alternatives to Microsoft Office. Unfortunately I have been too lazy to load either of them on my Mac as the Apple alternatives also work and allow me to do anything I need related to my current job search. Perhaps when I have access to the Microsoft suite of products, I will continue to use the alternatives and save my next company some money.

No comments:

Post a Comment